Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Traveling the Globe at Unruly Paper Arts Blogozine

The New Year is off to a great start at Unruly PaperArts!

Our first month's theme in 2015 is Let's Face It and the Schedule of Contents for the month is a great way to keep up to date with our frequent posted articles. We are half way through the month so I hope so far you've found all of the blog posts inspiring.  If you are unfamiliar with our concept, our blogozine posts new articles throught the month, has featured guest artists and product sponsors, and has a month-long craft challenge for our readers called Reader Art Quest. The RAQ details are over at the UPA blog HERE.  And the mid-month inspiration is HERE.

Global Traveller is this month's Reader Art Quest at Unruly Paper Arts blogozine.  How are you going to interpret the theme?  Even though we're half way through the month, you still have plenty of time to link up your creation to the UPA RAQ post.



As a UPA teammie, this month I made something as a RAQ sample for our mid-month inspiration. How did I interpret the theme?  I decided mail art was a global traveller.  Here is my envelope:


I started with a large white envelope and stenciled it with Tim Holtz Collection Rays stencil.  On separate paper I stamped from the Art Journey Steampunk 2 stamp set.

On all three, I used Pan Pastels: Chrom Oxide Green, Titanium White, and Violet Shade.  Pan Pastel is this month's UPA sponsor. A link to the Pan Pastel site is HERE.

Colorfin LLC

This is a new product to me.  I watched their on-line videos.  I used the special sponge to apply the pastels and even tried using a rubber eraser.  I did need a fixative and discovered Ranger Perfect Pearls Mists in Sunflower Sparkle worked well while adding a touch of shimmer.  Usually when I want the light to catch the glitter or shimmer, it doesn't show up in the photo.  This time, it REALLY showed up.  There is more violet showing through when not in direct light.

Under the rays, I placed a map, a digital image from Gecko Galz Old World Maps collage sheet. I altered the color just a tad to match the Pan Pastels.

I then added a "postage stamp" from Graphic 45 Steampunk Debutante paper collection.

I created a wax seal with Amazing Mold Putty from Amazing Crafting Products.  They were UPA's November sponsor.  A link to their site is HERE.

Amazing Crafting Products

How did I do this?  I rolled the putty into a ball and then imprinted the metal chevron from my wax seal set.  After the putty mold was ready, I filled it with melted sealing wax from the wax seal set. Yes, I could have just used the wax seal set as intended, but I wanted to experiment with the mold putty.  I was pleased that the putty mold held it's shape and did not deteriorate when I added the melted sealing wax.  Since the wax set up immediately, I cataloged this technique as a speedy way to create something using the mold.

Once everything was in place, I began stamping with various rubber stamps in my collection.

The "mail your art all over the world" stamp is from Viva Las Vegas Stamps.  The rest are from a retired set made by Red Lead Paperworks, Inc.--except for the "he hath wings" which actually is a Red Lead label "she hath wings" from a label stamp set. I merely used an ink marker on the letters I wanted to print.

I'm entering this in the following challenges:
Lunagirl Moonbeams Challenge:  Postcards and Letters due January 22
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge:  Inky Background
STAMPlorations January Challenge:  Stamps and Inks  due January 31
Gecko Galz Papercrafting Facebook Challenge Group:  All That Shimmers

6 comments:

DonnaMundinger said...

What a fabulous take on the challenge, Helene! Soo creative and I'd love to investigate pan pastels. So many wonderful techniques here and the shimmer is just gorgeous! xxD

ionabunny said...

I've never altered an envelope. What a great take on the theme. Very quirky. Hugz

Karen Lunagirl said...

This is fabulous, Helene! I love your mail art. Just a nudge, this would be perfect for my current challenge theme Postcards & Letters. Hop over to LunagirlMoonbeams.com and play ~ we miss you! ~ Karen

Michele said...

this is just beautiful Helene! thanks for including it in our postcards and letter challenge at lunagirl moonbeams! xo

Emma Williams said...

Wonderful piece of artwork and thank you so much for sharing your project and for joining us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! :)

Monika Skinner said...

Great Mixed Media Piece, reminds me a little of Greek Mythology and the modern day Superman,love the vintage feel! Thanks for joining us at STAMPlorations this month. Good Luck! Monika
Thanks also for leaving such lovely comments on my blog during the hop so far!

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album