Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Knowledge Is the Key

Books and words are inspiring us this month at Gingersnap Creations .  As Visiting Artist, this is my contribution for the Gingersnap Creations Spicy Supply Challenge: #54 Pencils.  The challenge is posted today along with wonderful inspiration from the Design Team.  You have until June 6 to link up your entry at the Gingersnap blog. Seven Ginger Gems will be chosen from the entries.

As soon as I read the challenge, I knew what I was going to use.  No, I didn't draw this pencil sketch.  It's part of a postcard sent in the 1800's from my grandfather to his family.  He sent it from Geneva, Switzerland, where he was a medical student.  I don't know if it's a self-portrait or if someone else sketched his profile. The entire postcard is written in tiny handwriting, also done in pencil, covering every inch of the postcard around the sketch.   Unfortunately I can't read a word of the language it's written in.  (I chose to put my watermark over the handwriting on the collar since it was bothering me that I didn't know what it said.)

For this project, I photocopied the original and cut out just the sketch of my grandfather.  I placed it on top of some dictionary paper.  I added a couple of Graphic 45 stamps and lots of Tim Holtz hardware.  The base is a vintage cardboard photograph frame covered with Making Memories shopping bag paint.  After I did a little sanding to distress the board, I added a thin layer of Lumiere crimson metallic acrylic paint.  It's hard to see in the photo, but the corners are stenciled either with punchinella or Tim Holtz floret mini masks using fired brick Distress Ink.  I used a ZIG black photo signature pen to add some pertinent information.

14 comments:

Lori said...

Wowza! Very cool use of the sketch, what a special thing to have! You really nailed this one!

Zoechaos said...

What a treasure that postcard is and what a blessing modern technolgy that allows you to use it this way. Fabulous piece, perhaps one day you'll get a translation.

deb famularo said...

Wow Helene, you really have found your niche with vintage designs! This is so awesome! Stunning actually! Have a great week! xOxO deb

Yvonne said...

Whoa, this is absolutely magnificent!~

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hey Helene! I spied this in the Gingersnap blog email and just had to tell you how lovely it is and congrats for being the visiting artist. That's such an ingenius use of personal ephemera, as usual! winkwink xoxo

Lynn Stevens said...

How cool to be able to preserve something so special of your Grandfather. No doubt this will go on to be a family Heirloom. Wonderful!!!!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

such a gorgeous piece and a wonderful history also! :)
thank you for the kind words on my blog...I loved hearing Gnarls when I came here today...love that song! :)

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely piece of art and so nice using an old postcard as the history that goes with it makes it extra special. Great embellishments too. Tracy Evans x x

Lindsay Weirich said...

what a beautiful work of art, love the collage frame and how you put your blog name on the piece, unique!

Clare Lloyd said...

i love all the metal embellishments. X

Anonymous said...

Amazing card Helene!!! I love all these metal elements!!!! you did a fabulous job!!
Hugs
Lidia

michele hileman said...

That is really awesome. Just wonderful to see so much talent

Gerrie Johnnic said...

This is way cool. That was my Grandfather's name also.

Unknown said...

Wonderful I really like it and all the little extras

love Dawn xx

Blog Archive

Family Heritage Album